Like the rest of Nokia’s fleet of smartphones, the 7.1’s chassis is crafted from a single block of aluminium. It may just be another rectangular sandwich of metal and glass, but it looks positively lovely. Everyone loves a nicely chamfered edge and these are quite plainly some of the finest silver-tinted chamfers you’ll encounter on any smartphone. Front and centre is the phone’s 5.84in, 2,244 x 1,080 IPS display, complete with a rather chunky bezel underneath and a narrow iPhone Xs-like notch digging into the top of the screen. It’s capable of handling HDR content, with support for YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.
The Nokia 7.1’s main brainpower is provided by the Snapdragon 636 chipset which makes it a decent performer in most mobile games, and should be able to handle day-to-day tasks with ease. Four gigabytes of RAM back up the processor which is capable in handling multiple tasks and switching between apps. There’s a sizeable amount of storage too, with 64GB as standard and the option to expand that by up to 400GB with a MicroSD card. That MicroSD slot also doubles as a dual-SIM, giving you easy switching if you’re a world traveler.
The camera suite on the back is comprised of a main 12-megapixel lens with an f/1.8 aperture, paired with a secondary 5-megapixel lens that provides the prized background blur “bokeh” effect. There’s an 8-megapixel lens with an f/2.0 aperture around the front, which is also capable of a portrait-style blur effect. Google Lens can be quickly and easily accessed from the camera app, along with Motion Photos.
The battery’s on the slightly smaller side, weighing in at only 3,060mAh. comes with a USB-C port, complete with fast charging. With the screen set to our standard brightness of 170cd/m² and Flight mode engaged, the Nokia 7.1 lasted for 10hrs and 11mins before needing to recharge. Sure, that’s not an abysmal score by any means, but you’ll be topping up the Nokia 7.1’s stamina much more frequently than any of its competitors. A power bank is essential in this case.
- Discover the power of the latest generation Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 mobile platform that will let you reimagine what can be done on a smartphone, complete with 4GB of RAM and 64GB storage and additional storage of up to 400GB with a micro SD powered with an all day battery
- Bright, high contrast 2.5D 5.84” FHD+ HDR screen with 2220×1080 resolution and 19:9 aspect ratio with a Compact screen to body ratio of 80% and Corning Gorilla glass
- Dual 12+5MP rear camera for vibrant and stunning images and an 8MP selfie camera with an 84 degree FOV so everyone fits in the picture every time that utilizes HDR, Dual Sight, and pro camera modes to create unparalleled images
- Built on the most advanced version of Android One that brings a Google designed software experience with a streamlined, easy to use interface and curated set of pre-installed Google apps and two years of OS upgrades
- All the latest connection options including NFC, Bluetooth 5.0, OTG, fast USB Type-C charging, and a fingerprint sensor. LTE Bands supported: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 28, 38, 40, 66